Omega 3 benefits are pretty darn astounding. And making sure you’re getting these exciting omega 3 benefits in your life is probably the 2nd most important thing you can do for your health. (We’ll get back to the 1st most important thing later.)Research studies are published almost weekly where the scientific community discovers more and more amazing omega 3 benefits.
If you haven’t already been swept up in the net, here are seven benefits that Medline Plus says are possible from omega 3:
1. Freedom from pain and inflammation. The National Institute of Health’s website, Medline Plus says, “Omega-3 fatty acids reduce pain and swelling.”How? Omega 3 fish oil fatty acids, particularly EPA, are involved in your body’s inflammatory response and inflammation cycle. Relieving the inflammation (swelling) will help reduce the pain.
2. Better brain function and higher intelligence. Pregnant and nursing mothers who include omega 3 fatty acids in their diets, may have a positive impact on their babies intelligence. For adults, fish oil is also being researched in association with improved memory, recall, reasoning and focus.
3. Feeling better with much less depression. Making you smarter is not all that fish oil may do for your brain. Psychiatry department researchers at the University of Sheffield UK, along with other research studies, have seen the possibility that the omega 3 fatty acids in fish oil supplements “alleviated” the symptoms of depression, bipolar and psychosis. [Journal of Affective Disorder Vol. 48(2-3);149-55]
4. Lower incidence of childhood disorders. Just to show how fish oil fatty acids leave nobody out, studies suggest that children (and adults) with ADD and ADHD may experience a greatly improved quality of life. From Medline Plus, “Taking fish oil seems to improve thinking skills and behavior in 8 to 12 year-old children with ADHD.”
5. Superior cardiovascular health. Research has suggested that the DHA, EPA and DPA in fish oil may have a positive effect on heart disease. According to Medline Plus, “Fish oil may be effective in keeping people with healthy hearts free of heart disease. People who already have heart disease may be able to lower their risk of dying from heart disease by taking fish oil. Though not all researchers agree, some investigators believe that fish oil may be even more effective in reducing death from heart attacks than a group of commonly used cholesterol-lowering drugs called “statins.”
6. Protection from heart attack and stroke. When plaque builds up on arterial walls and then breaks loose, it causes what’s known as a thrombosis, which is a fancy way of saying clot. If a clot gets stuck in the brain, it causes a stroke and when it plugs an artery, it causes a heart attack. From Medline Plus: “Moderate fish consumption (once or twice a week) seems to lower the risk of having a stroke by as much as 27%.”
7. Reduction of menstrual pain. And finally, it seem that fish oil may have a positive effect on the discomfort associated with menstrual pain or dysmenorrheal. According to Medline Plus: “Taking fish oil alone or in combination with vitamin B12 seems to improve painful periods and reduce the need for pain medications such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS).” That should be reason enough for every woman to include omega 3 fish oil in her daily routine!
So you can see why learning more about fish oil is possibly the 2nd most important thing you can do for your health. Do you have any idea what the 1st most important thing is?
That’s right. It’s time to put this knowledge to work and start eating more fish and regularly taking pure fish oil supplements. That’s the only way to be sure you’re getting all the benefits of omega 3 fish oil.